Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Who am I? What's "Ravine Dwelling" mean?

Welcome to my little corner of the web! This is a complete experiment; this may be my only post, it may not. About me:

Name: Brian
Age: 28
Location: Originally from a Philadelphia suburb, presently in Boston
Occupation: Training engineer, which means I travel the country teaching people how to use engineering software

So where does the title come from?

"Have you heard, have you heard?
About this girl who was ripped up by her roots
Have you heard, what she learned?
Like humility - you win when you lose

I have learned, I have learned
The most horrifying nights have an end
I was hurt, I was lost
In the dark I found a way to a friend"

Lately, I've been on a YouTube kick finding songs from the mid-90s that meant a lot to me, and I stumbled upon one that described my situation back then quite well. I was quite lonely throughout high school, but in Oct. 1995, I went to a conference in DC where I had my first ever crush. Through having that crush, I saw the "ravine" I had fallen into, and I saw said crush as the way out. Thus, this song was, in my mind, about her.

Fast forward 11.5 years, and I almost feel like I'm back in the same situation. Here in Boston, I've been stuck in a "ravine" ever since I moved out here...

"I am standing here in my ravine
Once again I see a piece of the sky..."

Every once in a while I feel like I see a piece of the sky, including this past Sunday, when one of my few Bostonian friends graciously agreed to have dinner with me and then play games. It meant a lot. But I know it's not the ultimate way out of this ravine.

"Was a flower, was so frail
And I let the trees grow wild around me
Grew so high, hid the sky
Shaded everything I needed to see"

The ravine I'm in is due to my sin. Traps that my flesh, Satan, and the world have set for me that I've fallen hook, line, and sinker for. Sin that had manifested itself in some ways in prior years, but that God has released the restraint on since I moved here. I'm thankful He's showing me the trees that are growing wild around me.

"Then one night, someone came
Took a knife and ripped me up by my roots
Tossed astray, far away
In the darkest night, I started to pray"

That's what I'm praying God would do to me. Take a knife and rip me up by my roots. Or re-rip me up if you will. It's hard to believe that it's been over 10 years since He first ripped me up, and I don't want to believe He needs to keep ripping me up. I want to believe that at some point, I'll be a good person that He only needs to make minor adjustments to. But as I become deeper involved with Christ, I'm seeing that to be a false hope--instead, the full hope is found in Christ's blood and ONLY in Christ's blood.

"Why do you, why do you ask?
Why I'm not blaming my God?
I'll tell you, I'll tell you what
He was the only one there"

That's the one part of the song that back in 1995 didn't mean anything to me. But now I know, He is the only one consistently there. He is the one showing me my sin, and He is the one who gives me hope. Hope for a future, hope that He will use me in spite of my sin, hope that living in Boston isn't a lost cause.

"I am standing here in my ravine
Once again I see a piece of the sky
And my joy never will be denied
'cause I was meant to be here -The only place on earth
Where you are near, where you are near"--Ace of Base, "Ravine" (from the album The Bridge, 1995)

I know what you're thinking. ACE OF BASE?! Yes, Ace of Base. One of my two favorite bands before I became a Christian, with the other being Garbage. If you want to hear the song--and I think it needs to be heard to be fully appreciated--click on the following:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dXWemmSHKs

It's a live performance from the 1997 World Music Awards in Monaco. Note the person who commented that it's almost enough to make him convert from Buddhism!

Lyrics:

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/a/ace+of+base/ravine_20003556.html

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Lauren Sheldon said...

Hey There - I'm glad to see you started a blog. I think you should stick with it. It can be a great way to "think" things out ad express yourself. Sometimes people surprise you by actually reading along :)

I really like how you used the song lyrics to trace out where you have been and where you are now. I know from talking to you that Boston has been challenging, but it seems to have been more trying than I realized...

"Hope for a future, hope that He will use me in spite of my sin, hope that living in Boston isn't a lost cause."

I really relate to this part. I know you can count on your hope for a future - "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you, plans to give you hope and a future." And I know from my own life how God uses us in spite of our sin. He who works all things out for good for those who love him can even do so with our sin. As far as Boston, I am asking myself the same question. Am I supposed to be here??? Where do you want me God? Is this a lost cause? Am I a lost cause? These questions bring me back to my earlier points, so the answer I know in my head is obvious. No, we are not a lost cause in Christ. But...believing that in our hearts and discerning God's will is still a daily struggle...

The Master of Master Key said...

Thanks for the comment! One of the many reasons I've been thankful for your friendship for 5+ years (scary thought!) is the fact that you're real, yet you always have hope. It's a great balance that's convicting and encouraging.

As for the comment itself, it certainly does sound like you know what I'm talking about. "Where do you want me God?...Am I a lost cause?" Questions whose answers we know in our mind, could probably spit out Bible verse after Bible verse, and yet, it hasn't made that 18 inch trek into our hearts. But there is hope. Let me try to encourage you by saying I know you're not a lost cause. God did not make a mistake when He created you. As I mentioned above, He's using you to encourage me, and I know He's used you in other people's lives. I read your blog and I'm in amazement about how much thought & work you put into teaching. As long as you're seeking His glory through that work, I'm sure He will use you in the lives of the kids you're teaching.

That said, my biggest struggle about being in Boston might be that I just don't see God's purpose for me here. I could clearly see some purposes for me when I was at Lafayette; ditto for my time in Illinois. I'm having a hard time seeing it here. But then, there is hope. Like you said, God knows the plans He has for me, and He's counted every hair on my head. His will is a lamp, not a 250 watt flashlight, and I must learn to be still and listen to Him during all times, especially ones like these.