Saturday, June 7, 2008

Weddings

Greetings from Albuquerque! I just attended my 10th wedding since 2002:

1. Matt & Trina Patton (Sept. 2002)--the first of my friends to get married. They now have four kids.
2. Thang & Katie Tran (June 2003)--Reception was a 5 minute walk from my apartment.
3. Andrew & Allison Sommers (August 2004)--Andrew had been my roommate for 2 years.
4. John & Vieylana Kim (August 2004)--drove through a hurricane to get there.
5. Peter & Erin Krol (Sept. 2004)--drove through another hurricane to get there.
6. Jeff & Jenni Marner (Oct. 2005)--reception was at an Amish kitchen in Illinois. Yummmmm :-).
7. Gina & David Patten (July 2006)--spent an extra day in Chicago. Awesome.
8. Tom & Beth Gentry (March 2007)--Richmond, IN, and I barely knew anyone. But it was good to catch up with Tom & Val.
9. Jonathan & Becky Evenden (Nov. 2007)--the surprise of the century :-).
10. Greg & Valerie Mackey (June 2008)--Set a record for fewest people I knew at one of these weddings, two. Greg was one.

Wow--10 weddings, not counting the one I couldn't make when I was in Sweden and several other friends who have gotten married as well. I do admit I'd like it to be my turn soon, but we'll see what the Lord has planned. As of now, the next wedding I'm attending is my sister's wedding, next May.

Oh, you're wondering who the other person was at Greg's wedding that I knew? Nancy Parks, a former teacher & colleague at Parkland Community College in Champaign, IL! I knew she had moved here to Albuquerque, but I had no idea she knew Greg, so I was quite surprised when I saw her appear at the church. I finally got to meet her husband as well. They also kept the whole thing short...the ceremony started at 4, and the reception ended at 7:15. No dancing. I didn't complain :-).

Alright...off to figure out how to spend my free day here tomorrow!

2 comments:

Keith said...

That's quite a list. And yet it seems I often hear girls say they have 9 wedding in a summer to attend? Guys and girls have the same number of friends right??? How do they do it? I guess it's another mystery of women?

Even though I know many of the people on your list Thang and Katie's is the only one I was able to attend because of Japan :(

But if I was a girl I would have missed 27 weddings so I guess I can't complain.

John Kim said...

Indeed quite a list. Glad to be part of it!